Imagine: Crisp, cold weather, wearing warm cozy sweaters, holiday specials playing on the television, all while you’re sipping on some delicious hot cocoa. Okay, maybe I am a little bit anxious for winter time, but then again who isn’t?! It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Now if that didn’t put you in the mood for the holidays, then I’m sure this recipe will do the trick. I got this wonderful Hot Cocoa Cookie recipe from: http://www.pipandebby.com. I hope this gets you as anxious for the holiday season as I am!
· 1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter
· 12 oz chopped semi-sweet chocolate (bars)
· 1 ½ cups of flour
· ¼ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
· 1 ½ tsp baking powder
· ¼ tsp salt
· 1 ¼ cup light brown sugar
· 3 eggs (at room temperature)
· 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
· 8 marshmallows
Directions: In a medium saucepan, melt together: unsalted butter and chopped semisweet chocolate (bars). Stir frequently over medium heat until smooth. Let cool for 15 minutes.
· In a medium bowl, whisk together: flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt
· Using an electric mixer, beat together: light brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract
· Beat on low speed until smooth, 2 minutes. Mix in the cooled chocolate mixture just until blended. Add the flour mixture in 2 batches, mixing on low speed until just combined. Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a tablespoon, scoop the dough and roll between your palms to form 1-inch balls. Arrange about 16 balls 2 inches apart on each cookie sheet, flattening slightly. Bake until the tops of the cookies crack, about 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut 7.5 ounces of semisweet chocolate (bars) into 1-inch squares. Snip 8 marshmallows in half crosswise and stick 1 square of chocolate onto each of the cut sides.
Remove the cookie sheets from the oven and gently press a marshmallow half, chocolate side down, into each cookie. Bake until the marshmallows are just softened, about 4 minutes. Transfer the pans to racks to cool for 5 minutes.
Grate 5 ounces of semisweet chocolate over the hot cookies. Using a spatula, transfer the cookies to the racks and let cool. Repeat the process with the remaining dough, marshmallows and chocolate. Bake each batch on a clean sheet of parchment paper.